Investigation opened into match-fixing at French Open

The Paris prosecutor’s office has opened a police investigation into suspicions of match-fixing at the French Open.

Tuesday, 6th October 2020, 6:25 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th October 2020, 6:25 pm
The Paris prosecutor's office has opened a police investigation into suspicions of match-fixing at the French Open.
The Paris prosecutor's office has opened a police investigation into suspicions of match-fixing at the French Open.

The office said the investigation is being conducted by a French police unit that specialises in betting fraud and match-fixing probes and which, among other investigations, has previously worked with Belgian authorities in investigating suspected fixed matches at the lower levels of professional tennis.

But match-fixing probes targeting Grand Slam tennis are comparatively rare. The Paris prosecutor's office said the investigation is centered on suspicions concerning one match at Roland Garros and also casting a broader look for any other evidence. It did not specify the match.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

German newspaper Die Welt and French sports daily L'Equipe said there were suspicious betting patterns in the first round of a women's doubles match on 30 September.

Played on Court No. 10 at Roland Garros, it featured Romanian players Andreea Mitu and Patricia Maria Tig against Madison Brengle of the United States and Yana Sizikova of Russia.

In the match, Sizikova is broken to love serving in game five of the second set, during which she double faults twice.

According to Die Welt and L'Equipe's reports, large sums were allegedly placed on the Romanians to win that fifth game across several operators in Paris and from different countries.

Die Welt cited unnamed insiders claiming several hundred thousand euros were bet on the game, and that the fifth game in the second was a focus of the betting - without saying specifically how much of the total betting was on that game.

The prosecutor's office said probe was opened on 1 October, the day after.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.u2swisshome.com/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director

 0 comments

Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.