Coleraine 2 - 2 Motherwell: Trevor Carson is Motherwell penalty hero

Northern Irish keeper saves three spot-kicks in shootout after being beaten by two in normal time

Thursday, 17th September 2020, 10:50 pm
Stephen O'Donnell and Declan Gallagher rush to congratulate Trevor Carson after the keeper's penalty shootout heroics for Motherwell. Picture: Brian Lawless/PA Wire
Stephen O'Donnell and Declan Gallagher rush to congratulate Trevor Carson after the keeper's penalty shootout heroics for Motherwell. Picture: Brian Lawless/PA Wire

Northern Ireland goalkeeper Trevor Carson was ten-man Motherwell’s penalty shoot-out hero as they survived a major scare in Coleraine to progress in the Europa League.

Carson saved three penalties out of three after being beaten by two spot-kicks in the 90 minutes of a 2-2 draw in the second qualifying round.First-half goals by strikers Callum Lang and Tony Watt had put Motherwell in command at The Showgrounds but Ben Doherty netted from the spot inside four minutes of the second half and he repeated the feat in the last minute after Bevis Mugabi had been sent off for a last-man foul.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However, Carson proved unbeatable in the shootout as Motherwell sealed a tie against Hapoel Beer-Sheva with the one-off game due to be held in Israel, which is currently under lockdown, next Thursday.

Stephen Robinson’s men had beaten Glentoran 5-1 in the previous round and they started strongly with Mark O’Hara and Lang having efforts blocked.

However, Coleraine missed a good chance just before the opener when James McLaughlin headed wide from a free-kick.

Motherwell then netted a 16th-minute opener. Watt beat his man and crossed and the ball was headed back by Stephen O’Donnell for Lang to net from close range at the second attempt.

Motherwell defender Declan Gallagher saw an effort cleared off the line before Watt doubled Motherwell’s lead in the 37th minute.

The former Celtic striker fired a first-time effort into the bottom corner from 16 yards after Liam Polworth touched back Lang’s cross.

Former St Mirren boss Oran Kearney’s side got a goal back four minutes after the restart when O’Hara was penalised while tracking Doherty at a set-piece. The Northern Ireland Under-21 international picked himself up and dispatched the penalty into the bottom corner.

Motherwell were suddenly under pressure and they had a let-off when Josh Carson was flagged offside after putting the ball across for Gareth McConaghie to net.

The equaliser did come when Eoin Bradley got away from Mugabi. The Coleraine substitute slowed down and drew contact with the defender before going down and Finnish referee Antti Munukka pointed to the spot and showed a red card.

Doherty sent his penalty into the other corner to take the game into extra-time.

Chris Long went close for Well and Carson touched a Bradley header on to the bar.

He then saved penalties by Ian Parkhill, Lyndon Kane and McConaghie as Well won the shootout 3-0.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director


Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.