Conflicting reports over Celtic's bid to bring Filip Benkovic back to Parkhead
There are conflicting reports regarding Celtic’s interest in bringing Filip Benkovic back to the club in the January transfer window.
Earlier on Friday, Sky Sports reported that talks had opened over the possibility of the Croatian defender returning to the Scottish champions for a second spell.
The broadcaster even claimed that Celtic could be in a position to land the 23-year-old on a permanent basis after a loan to Cardiff City didn’t work out for the player, who made just one appearance before being recalled by the EPL side.
Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers, who managed Benkovic in Glasgow, said he was open to the idea of the centre-back returning to the side where he spent the 2018/19 season on loan. The Northern Irishman said the player was “sensational” during his time north of the border as he stated his desire to find him first-team football.
However, the Scottish Sun state that no contact has yet been made between the two clubs over Benkovic.
Manager Neil Lennon has admitted he is in the market for another centre-back in the January transfer window after French defender Christopher Jullien was ruled out for four months following a collision with the post in Celtic’s recent victory over Dundee United in the Scottish Premiership.
The Scotsman reported on Friday morning that a source close to Benkovic believed a deal would go through before the end of the January window. He is said to be keen on a return to Glasgow, where he helped Celtic win the domestic treble while playing 28 times in all competitions.
Message from the editor
Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.
If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.
Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.