Andy Murray Covid: will the tennis star appear at Australian Open? Latest following news of positive test

The two-time Wimbledon winner could be set to miss the first Grand Slam of the season

Andy Murray participated in the 'Battle of the Brits' on December 22 (Getty Images)
Andy Murray participated in the 'Battle of the Brits' on December 22 (Getty Images)

Andy Murray’s appearance at the Australian Open is in doubt following a positive coronavirus test.

The Dunblane tennis player is isolating at home in London with his preparations for the first Grand Slam of the year thrown into disarray.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The tournament doesn’t kick off until February 8, but Murray, who is said to be in good health, faces an uphill struggle to compete due to the southern hemisphere country’s strict travel restrictions.

Here’s the latest on Murray’s potential participation in the tournament.

Read more:

Will Andy Murray compete at the Australian Open?

The former world number one was set to travel to Australia in the next 36 hours on a charter flight laid on by tournament organisers but is still isolating at home.

According to the Press Association Murray is aiming to be allowed to arrive in Australia at a later date and participate in the year’s first grand slam.

Reports claim that Murray and his team are working closely with tournament director Craig Tiley to try to come up with an acceptable solution.

A statement from the Australian Open suggests that Murray supporters should be pessimistic about his chances of participating.

It read: “Andy Murray has advised that he has tested positive to Covid-19 and is isolating at home in the UK.

“Unfortunately this means he will be unable to join the official AO charter flights arriving in Australia in the coming days to go through the quarantine period with the other players.

“The AO fans love Andy, and we know how much he loves competing here in Melbourne and how hard he’d worked for this opportunity.”

What Covid measures are in place at the Australian Open?

Players began arriving in the country on Thursday ahead of a two-week period of quarantine, during which they are allowed out of their rooms to practise for five hours a day.

They were told that a positive test prior to flying would mean they were not allowed to travel to Australia.

Which other players have been impacted?

World number 16 Madison Keys will not be making the trip after testing positive, with the American saying on Twitter: “I am self-isolating at home and will continue to follow all the necessary health precautions. I look forward to being back on tour next month.”

Meanwhile, tournament organisers have explained why American player Tennys Sandgren was allowed to travel to Australia despite testing positive for Covid-19 on Monday.

Sandgren, a two-time quarter-finalist in Melbourne, had coronavirus in November and is therefore no longer deemed infectious.

An Australian Open statement read: “In the case of Tennys Sandgren, who has self-disclosed that he previously tested positive in late November, his medical file had to be reviewed by Victorian health authorities. Upon completion of that review he was cleared to fly.”

Dominic Thiem’s coach, Nicolas Massu, has been unable to travel after testing positive but is hoping to fly at a later date while Carlos Moya, the coach of Rafael Nadal, has decided not to make the trip and will stay with his family.