ScotRail launches new Linlithgow and Montrose shuttles during line closures

Trains will resume from Edinburgh to Linlithgow and Montrose from Monday while repairs continue to major landslips which have closed lines for weeks

Friday, 11th September 2020, 4:45 pm
Updated Friday, 11th September 2020, 8:48 pm
Damage from the Union Canal burst near Polmont. Picture: Network Rail

The move will come five weeks after the main Edinburgh-Glasgow route was closed near Polmont, west of Linlithgow, because of a canal burst.

The Dundee-Stonehaven line was blocked the same day – 12 August – by a derailment in which three people died.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Polmont line is expected to remain closed for several more weeks, while the Stonehaven route is not likely to re-open until at least next month.

ScotRail said the Edinburgh-Linlithgow service would call at Edinburgh Park and Haymarket.

Replacement buses between Falkirk Grahamston and Linlithgow will continue.

Glasgow-Edinburgh passengers can use other lines via Bathgate and Shotts.

A 300m section of line was badly damaged when the Union Canal bank collapsed, engulfing the line and gouging a large hole under the tracks on 12 August.

The Stonehaven crash site. Picture: Derek Ironside/Newsline Media/PA Wire

Overhead power masts were also washed away and dozens of uprooted trees were strewn across the tracks.

ScotRail operations director David Simpson said: “The unprecedented rainfall near Polmont had a severe impact from which we’re still trying to recover.

“Network Rail’s specialist engineers are working as quickly as possible to complete repairs to the track and railway infrastructure near Polmont that was caused by flood damage.”

The Edinburgh-Montrose shuttle, which will run to and from Dundee on Sundays, follows the introduction of an Aberdeen-Stonehaven shuttle last week.

The line is blocked by a landslip caused by rock and gravel being washed onto the track by heavy rain which derailed an Aberdeen-Glasgow train.

Replacement buses between Dundee and Aberdeen will continue.

A 600-tonne crane started lifting the wrecked carriages from the line yesterday.

Engineers will then assess the extent of damage to the tracks and a bridge hit by the train as it crashed.

Driver Brett McCullough, 45, conductor Donald Dinnie, 58, and passenger Christopher Stuchbury, 62, died in the incident, in which when the 6:38am Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen Street train derailed.

Two separate investigations are continuing into the incident,

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website.

While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app.

With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them.

By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director

 0 comments

Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.