Queen Elizabeth University Hospital: Small fire ‘sparked by cigarette’

Main entrance to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital was cordoned off after fire broke out on Wednesday morning.

Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 11:19 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 11:33 am

A fire at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) in Glasgow was likely caused by a discarded cigarette, according to the health board.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were first called to the scene at 9.22am on Wednesday, with four appliances in attendance.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But security crews had already extinguished the flames outside the building.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said it had likely been caused by a discarded cigarette.

A spokesman said: “This morning at around 9.20am, our security teams provided an immediate response to a fire alarm at the QEUH and extinguished a small fire outside of the main building.

“The fire was accidental and likely caused by an inappropriately discarded cigarette.

“Thanks to our established fire safety protocols and the quick response of our team, there were no injuries and the fire was quickly extinguished.

Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

“While the fire service completes necessary follow-up assessments and safety checks, a number patients and staff have been temporarily evacuated from the building.”

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.

Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. Visit https://www.u2swisshome.com/subscriptions now to sign up.

By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director