Vienna Shooting: Three dead as a manhunt continues after last night's deadly 'terror attack'
A terrorist attack has left at least three people dead and several injured in Vienna as authorities are thought to be searching for at least one suspect that ‘is still on the run’.
Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told reporters that two men and a woman have died from their injuries, he said: "The attacker sympathised with the militant terrorist group IS."
Gunmen opened fire at six different locations in the city centre on Monday evening and some perpetrators are thought to still be "on the loose", according to the Austrian chancellor Sebastian Kurz.
The Chancellor, speaking shortly after gunfire erupted, called the incident a "despicable terror attack".
He praised police for killing one of the attackers and vowed: "We will never allow ourselves to be intimidated by terrorism and will fight these attacks with all means."
People in Vienna have been urged to stay at home today while authorities determine if further attackers are still at large. Fifteen people were injured in the attack in the centre of the capital, among them a police officer.
Vienna mayor Michael Ludwig said 15 people were admitted to hospital, seven with serious injuries.
The attack began at around 8pm while people were enjoying a last evening out in the city before a coronavirus lockdown,
Police in the Austrian capital said the attack was considered to have an Islamist motive, with a suspect - who was shot dead by police - armed with an assault rifle, carrying other handguns, and wearing a fake explosive belt.
Oskar Deutsch, the head of the Jewish community in Vienna, said the shooting took place in the street outside the city's main synagogue but it was not clear whether it had been targeted. The synagogue was closed at the time, he said.
Rabbi Schlomo Hofmeister said he saw at least one person shoot at people sitting outside at bars in the street below his window.
Mr Hofmeister said: "They were shooting at least 100 rounds just outside our building.
"All these bars have tables outside. This evening is the last evening before the lockdown."
Both the Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted to express solidarity with Austria after the deadly attack.
Mr Johnson said: "I am deeply shocked by the terrible attacks in Vienna tonight.
"The UK's thoughts are with the people of Austria - we stand united with you against terror."
Michael Ludwig, mayor of Vienna, said 15 people were admitted to hospital, seven with serious injuries.
A police officer was among the injured, Austrian police confirmed on Twitter.
Ms Patel said the UK, which has seen a number of terror atrocities in recent years, including an attack on Parliament in 2017, stood "ready to support" Austria following the shooting rampage.
The Home Secretary tweeted: "Deeply shocked and saddened by the incident that has taken place in Vienna this evening.
"My thoughts are with everyone who has been affected and we stand ready to support in any way we can."
Authorities in Vienna urged people to avoid all open spaces and public transportation. Police said trams and buses were not stopping and urged social media users not to post videos of the police operation so as not to endanger officers.
Updates will follow.