US surgeon’s offer to help Scottish women injured after mesh surgery ‘permanently withdrawn’

The doctor said his “goodwill has been abused” by the Scottish Government.

Tuesday, 8th September 2020, 8:03 pm

A Missouri-based surgeon has withdrawn an offer to help Scottish women left suffering after vaginal mesh surgery for a “second and final time” after becoming “exasperated” by the Scottish Government.

Dr Dionysios Veronikis had previously offered to travel to Scotland from the US to perform complex mesh removal operations on women.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

But in a letter to Health Secretary Jeanne Freeman, he said this has now been “permanently withdrawn” as he claimed his “goodwill has been abused”.

A Missouri-based surgeon has withdrawn an offer to help Scottish women left suffering after vaginal mesh surgery for a “second and final time” after becoming “exasperated” by the Scottish Government. (Photo by Fraser Bremner - Pool/Getty Images)

Dr Veronikis said he had previously withdrawn an offer to travel to Scotland but had been “given assurances by the First Minister of Scotland and I came back on board with the project”.

But he added: “Regretfully, promises made to me by the appointed officials were not delivered.

“This was the reason why I withdrew my offer for a second and final time.

“All past co-operation has collapsed. It is over. My goodwill is exasperated.

“I am certain that my 200-plus hours invested in these negotiations would have been better spent operating on 20 mesh-injured women.”

The surgeon said former chief medical officer Dr Catherine Calderwood had previously committed to arrange the necessary sponsorship with the General Medical Council to allow him to operate in Scotland.

Dr Veronikis told Ms Freeman: “I am surprised that under your direction and that of the First Minister that such non-action was permitted.

“My original offer to come to Scotland to help the mesh-injured women is the only offer that ever existed.

“This offer, the offer that I extended, remains permanently withdrawn.

“From my perspective, I have been extremely co-operative and my goodwill has been abused.”

Labour MSP Neil Findlay, who has spoken out on behalf of the women left in pain after vaginal mesh surgeries, branded the letter a “damning indictment of the failure of the Scottish Government to do right by mesh-injured women”.

Mr Findlay said: “Despite Dr Veronikis’ generous offer, no assistance was given by the Scottish Government to facilitate his visit to Scotland.

“The Health Secretary and the First Minister owe an apology to the mesh-injured women of Scotland whose agony has been prolonged due to the incompetence, pride and intransigence of the SNP government.”

In July, Ms Freeman announced the NHS is to set up a specialist service to perform mesh removal operations on those women who have been left suffering after surgery.

The Scottish Government will provide more than £1.3 million to support the new Complex Mesh Removal Surgical Service in 2020-21, she added.

A Scottish Government spokeswoman said NHS Scotland had offered the opportunity of a contract to Dr Veronikis in February, subject to “detailed discussions”.

She added: “The international recruitment team at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde also wrote to Dr Veronikis in March.

“Unfortunately Dr Veronikis has not felt able to do this without first having a contract in place and has withdrawn his offer to come to Scotland.

“This is deeply disappointing.

“The Scottish Government is clear that any woman who has suffered pain and life-changing complications caused by mesh implants should have access to the best possible care.”

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.

Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. Visit https://www.u2swisshome.com/subscriptions now to sign up.

By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director

 0 comments

Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.