Edinburgh school closed after parent crashes car into gas store having 'left off handbrake'
Juniper Green Primary School has been closed following a crash in the car park this morning (Wednesday).
Emergency services were called to the school on Baberton Mains Wynd shortly after drop-off after it emerged a car had struck a solid structure which houses the gas mains.
It is understood the car belonged to a parent who had left its handbrake off.
In an email to parents, seen by the Evening News, just after 11.30am headteacher Anthea Grierson explained that while ‘there is no risk to pupils or staff’ the gas supply now needs to be switched off to ‘allow investigations to be completed’.
It reads: “There has been an incident at the school today involving a car colliding with a large stone structure at the foot of the car park which houses the gas mains for the school.
"Police, fire brigade and Scottish Gas have all attended and there is no risk to pupils or staff however the gas needs to be switched off in the school and the street to allow investigations to be completed. This means we will have no heating, hot water or cooking facilities.
“I have been advised that as a precautionary measure children and staff should go home for the rest of the day. I will let parents know later today if school is able to reopen tomorrow.
“I am sorry for the disruption and appreciate your support in picking up your child as soon as you can today. Senior staff will stay with pupils until parents arrive so please do not worry that your child will be left unattended.”
The Evening News has been contacted by concerned parents who said it is a strict school rule that parents are not allowed to bring vehicles into the car park unless there are pre-arranged circumstances.
One parent said: "Despite the very best efforts of the school and parent council to enforce the rules around parents parking in the school grounds, there are always some who feel that the rules don’t apply to them.
"It is fortunate that this incident didn’t result in anyone being hurt, however to avoid something more serious happening in the future, hopefully this will encourage parents to adhere to the rules, which are there for everyone’s safety.”
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.
If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.
Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.